The “Friedrich Schiller” Center for Germanic Studies has been established 2006, after the conclusion of the Cooperation Agreement between the University of Wiesbaden and the “Vasile Goldiş” Western University of Arad, its establishment being a requirement for the study of German at academic level in this area with consolidated pro-German tradition. The cooperation agreement between the two universities has been signed in November 2005 by prof. Aurel Ardelean, PhD, rector of the “Vasile Goldiş” Western University and by Prof. dr. Clemens Klockner, president of the Wiesbaden University, and, as result of that we received the mission to carry on everything needed for the achievement of this project. The inauguration of the “Friedrich Schiller” German Center was in May 2006, at the “Academic Days of Arad”.
It is to be noted the generous and competent contribution of the German partner, as well as that of the “Vasile Goldiş” Western University of Arad Rector’s Office. There was established in a relatively short time a site for German culture at European standards. The cooperation with the German partner concretized in more funding which allowed to acquire multimedia equipment and a diversified and complex bibliography, the more recent publishing for learning German, interactive courses, DVDs for the lectures of German Culture and Civilization, the Brockhaus collection and dictionaries in electronic format, etc. Thus, this center meets the students’ and stakeholders demands for the study of German language and civilization.
We have a good cooperation with similar centers from the country and abroad:
The Goethe Institute of Timisoara and Bucharest, the Schiller German Center of Bucharest, the Center for Modern Languages of the University of Wiesbaden, of the “Matej Bel” University of Slovakia, of the “Tomasse Batti” University of Zlin, Czech Republic, of the “Tessedek Samuel” University of Bekescsaba, Hungary, etc. This cooperation is put in practice by joint cultural and didactic activities (German classes), professors’ and students’ exchanges.
The following activities are particularly performed at the “Friedrich Schiller” German Center:
- German classes for any level and any specialization, delivered by multimedia means by experienced professors, experts in several fields in Germany, and by visiting professors from Germany;
- symposiums, lectures and courses on the German culture and civilization;
- presentations and views of German movies received from DAAD Information Center of Timisoara;
- literary evenings with professors from the “Adam Müller Guttenbrunn” High School of Arad, from the “Nikolaus Lenau” High School of Timisoara, as well as guest from Germany: prof. Mareike Schellenberg, PhD; lect. Tanja Becker, PhD; poet and novelist Ingeborg Boeringer – Bruns
- joint actions with the “Goethe” German Cultural Centre of Timisoara and with the “Schiller” Cultural Center of Bucharest: literary and music evenings, film views, exhibits, courses, competitions, interactive evenings of the German folk songs etc.;
- organization of the methodical days of the German teachers;
- cultural exchanges and students’ mobility with the partner universities: outgoing students to the Universities of Wiesbaden, Munich, Heidelberg, Rottenburg, Tübingen (Germany), Zlin (Czech Republic), Banska Bystrica (Slovakia), Bekescaba (Hungary), Vienna (Austria).
- Guidance and provision of the bibliography required for drafting the Bachelor thesis;
- Information on the outstanding personalities of the German culture: Fr. Schiller, J. W. Goethe, S. Bach, L. Beethoven, L. Erhard, R. Koch, I. Kant, Herta Müller, etc.
- Highlighting the German customs for Christmas and Easter, and for other various events of German culture.
- Drafting studies and research on German traductology and linguistics, concretized in papers published in domestic and international journals;
- Acquiring the certificate of German language DAF (Deutsch als Fremdsprache) in cooperation with the “Goethe” Center of German Language of Timisoara;
An important concern of the Center is the students’ training in obtaining study scholarships in Germany and in other countries. Thus, the students receive regular counseling and they are trained on getting the certificate of German language and are advised on building the files for the DAAD scholarships. As result of such training, a considerable amount of students benefitted of these scholarships with integral funding from the German State and they took courses in Germany at the Universities of Wiesbaden, Munich, Berlin, Bremen, Heidelberg, Rottenburg, Tübingen, Frankfurt am Main.
In the context of the economic globalization and of the important role of German language in Europe and at worldwide level, the activity of the “Friedrich Schiller” German Center of Arad comes to fill an urging market demand for students’ training as future German-speaking experts in all fields.
Cultural Programs and Projects
There is performed language, dialectal and traductology research at the “Friedrich Schiller” German Center, research which is part of various national and international projects:
- “Together in Europe” – international mass-media project where students of the VGWU Faculty of Humanities, Political and Administrative Sciences and of the University of Wiesbaden have cooperated under the guidance of the professors V. Jireghie, R. Biriş, PhD, and prof. dr. J. Schmeller.
- “Difficulties in Teaching German Language for Trade and Their Disposal”- project of the “Friedrich Schiller” German Center, in cooperation with the Chair of German Language of the Faculty of Economic Sciences of the “Matej Bel” University of Banska Bystrica, Slovakia, run by assoc. prof. Rodica Biriş, PhD and by prof. Iveta Kontrikova, PhD.
- “Matters Related to the Translation from German into Romanian/ Hungarian”- project of the “Friedrich Schiller” German Center, in cooperation with the Chair of German of the Faculty of Economic Sciences Tessedik Samuel Foiskola of Bekescsaba, Hungary, run by lect. Rodica Biriş, PhD, and by assoc. prof. Pappne Princzinger Valeria, PhD.
- “Role of the Business Communication in German in Developing the Local Communities with German Ethnicity from Central European Countries and Romania” – international project run in four countries during September 2009 – August 2012, in cooperation with the University Tessedik Sammuel, Bekescsaba, Hungary, the “Matej Bel“ University of Banska Bystrica, Slovakia, the “Thomase Bati” University of Zlin, Czech Republic. Project manager: assoc. prof. Rodica Teodora Biriş, PhD, The “Vasile Goldiş” Western University of Arad.
- „Virtual working teams and their role and appointment in the international business EU“ – international project run in cooperation with the “Matej Bel“ University of Banska Bystrica, Slovakia and the University of Economic Sciences of Hradec Králové, Slovakia. Project manager: Mgr. Maria Pomffyova PhD, of the “Matej Bel” University of Banska Bystrica, Slovakia. Project coordinator for the Romanian part: assoc. prof. Rodica Teodora Biriş, PhD, the “Vasile Goldiş” Western University of Arad.
- „The social impact and the changes in 1918 in the structure and character of the local communities” project run in cooperation with the “Matej Bel” University of Banska Bystrica. Project Manager: prof. Tomas Chorvat PhD, of the “Matej Bel” University of Banska Bystrica, Slovakia. Project coordinator for the Romanian part: assoc. prof. Rodica Teodora Biriş, PhD, the “Vasile Goldiş” Western University of Arad.
- The Hu-Ro Project “Intercultural Communication in the Educational Area”
- coordinators: the “Aurel Vlaicu” Gymnasium of Arad, teacher Petruşca Tămăşan
- partners the School of Hodmezovasarhely, Hungary, prof. Arva Lasylo and the “Fr. Schiller” Center of German Studies of the Faculty of Humanities, Political and Social Sciences, the “Vasile Goldis” Western University of Arad, assoc. prof. Rodica Teodora Biriş, PhD
– duration of the project: September 1, 2012 – August 31, 2014